Friday, May 17, 2013

Florida Celebrates Water Reuse Week May 19-25

Water reuse or reclaimed water is a great way for Florida to lower its use of water. Water reuse is the process of taking domestic wastewater, giving it a high degree of treatment, and using  it for irrigating yards and golf courses. Extensive treatment and disinfection ensure that public health and environmental quality are protected. At TREEO our lawn is irrigated using reclaimed water from the Gainesville Regional Utilities Kanapaha Reclamation Facility. We also irrigate the berms, shown in the picture below, that are part of our water feature.

I wish my subdivision used reclaimed water. I hate paying for potable water to water my lawn. Of course I'm very stingy in putting any water on my yard, but during certain times of the year it is necessary to meet the standards set by the homeowners association.

According the Florida Department of Environmental Protection webpage,
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/reuse/, Florida leads the nation in reclaimed water usage.

Use this week to think about other ways you can use less water.

No comments:

Post a Comment